Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dad Dollars Endeaver

     So, I had found this idea in a family fun magazine a while ago, but then proceeded to misplace the magazine and I couldn't remember the web address to go to to print these "dad dollars" out.  Anyway, I googled it and found My blessed Home's Family Blog, and found the link, which is awesome.  I had all these idea's, but then ran out of oomph for a bit after I got them printed out.....maybe I would say I got sidetracked by the other things going on in our daily life.   Anyway, I finally got around to cutting them out and making the list of what my kids could do to earn them, and what "prizes" they could turn them in for.  Yesterday.
 
     So, we've been having trouble with my 5 year-old son sometimes in preschool.  This is his first year going to "school", and most of the time he's great, but occasionally he does something....like poke a hole in the Styrofoam bowl and not tell the teacher before she pours his soup in.  He's all boy, and I think has a bit of trouble harnessing all that energy.  So, yesterday, I told him that he would get a dad dollar every day if he had a good day at school.  Today, I went to pick him up, and he had a big smile, and said,"Hi mom, I did good, so I can have my dad dollar, right?"  How cool is that?  Time will tell whether or not  the desired effect will last.  What I am most excited about is that the "prizes" are things like an extra 1/2 hour of video game time, movie night, staying up a 1/2 hour late, and of course a few things like small candy, or some silly string I picked up for a dollar.  So, the out of pocket cost is very minimal for the parents, which is an awesome thing!

     I am so hoping that this will reinforce some of the daily habits we're trying to get into the habit of doing, as well as lessening the chaos that tends to happen when you try to get four kids together before school, when 2 of them are completely capable of doing it themselves.  Also, one of my stipulations is that the "job" gets done the right way, without the throwing of fits, which for some reason a few of my children think will work in getting them something.  So, only one day in, and doing pretty well, I think.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this idea - what great positive reinforcement! That's always worked better than punishments for my kiddos, and definately more fun than nagging. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my small bit of cyber space, feel free to leave me a note....